Not feeling the love anymore from one of the spaces in your home? Considering to renovate it soon? Here are some things we recommend considering before even thinking about taking that shiny looking hammer to the wall for demolition.
- It Always Comes Down to the Budget – As much as you might hate the B-word, a budget for your renovation is the most important aspect to consider. Make sure to not skip out on doing your homework. Nothing crushes a renovation dream like not being able to afford a certain piece of stone you love or not having enough funds at the end of the reno to purchase the chair you adore that would fit so well into your new space.
- Be Realistic. – We both find it quite funny how quickly renovations are completed on some of our favourite television shows on channels such as HGTV. A brand new kitchen in less then a day?! No way! That looks amazing! I can totally do that, said no one ever. Trust us. Even ask any of the HGTV experts. The reno usually doesn’t magically happen over night. Hence, be realistic. Depending on the size of the reno, it could even take a few months to complete from start to finishing touches. If you are planning to have family visit from out of town in a couple of weeks, we highly recommend not tearing down your only fully functioning washroom.
- Renovate with the Future in Mind – Always keep this reno rule in the back of your mind. Trends are for accessorizing, not for renovating. Chevron patterns may be in style this season but they probably won’t be next year. Don’t believe us? Just look back at the pink washrooms that were being installed in the 70’s.
- Find the Right Contractor – If you can’t complete the renovation yourself and you are contemplating hiring a contractor then the best way to find the right fit is to just start asking around. We’ve all heard the renovation horror stories and you sure as heck don’t want to become one of those stories. If no one from your inner circle can provide you with a good referral then poking around on the internet is your next best option. Online reviews are gold. Once you’ve found the perfect match make sure you request several referrals from the contractor you’ve chosen before signing any agreement.
- Have FUN – Renovations are more then just dust and stress. Remember to have fun. There’s nothing more rewarding than watching a space become transformed because of the vision you’ve got for the room.