With the temperatures starting to fall around here it makes us crave more comfort food. Anyone else? This hearty slow cooker chilli recipe will hit the spot.
The instructions are super easy to follow. I was able to prep all the ingredients while our little guy was napping. Within a few hours your belly will be thanking you.
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef or turkey
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cans of Italian diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 can of red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can of white kidney beans, drained
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-5 tsp chilli powder, depending on desired amount of heat
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- Dash of cayenne
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- Mix uncooked ground meat with the dry spices above.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and on a medium, lightly cook the onion until a light brown. Then add the seasoned ground meat to the skillet. Cook the meat until browned and make sure to break up the meat while cooking.
- Transfer the cooked ground meat to your slow cooker. Add in the rest of the ingredients listed above to the slow cooker. Cook on a low heat for 6-7 hours or a high heat for 4-5 hours.
- Stir chilli occasionally.
- Keep warm until ready to serve. Garnish with desired toppings such as shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro or fresh lime slices.