Happy New Year! What a year 2016 was. We had many highs such as painting the entire exterior of our home in one summer, renovating TWO bathrooms and a few lows that really made us appreciate those around us. We’ve summed up our year with some key pointers we think our readers will really appreciate.
- Start your day strong. Always start the day with a strong coffee, a hearty breakfast and an open mind. The economy in Alberta this past year has been hard on many families. We too were faced with some difficult decisions to make as a family. In the Spring of 2016, just as I was wrapping up my maternity leave I was laid off from my position with a company that I truly enjoyed working for. At the time, the news was devastating to me. I refocused my energy, reflected on what was important to us as a family, took most of the summer off to enjoy my time with our son and was able to find a new position that I truly love going to.
- Patience is key. Toddlerhood is no joke. 2016 was one for the books for the topic of patience. One day they love strawberries and kiwis and the next day all they want is gold fish crackers. Any other mamas that can relate? The key is to go with the flow and laugh it off when things are not falling into place as expected. Some days will go better than others.
- Always make room for a rainy day. Save! Save! Save! $$$ You never know when you might encounter a rainy day in your life. Coupons are SO in for 2017! So are collecting reward points. (They have some great apps for your phone to keep track of all the reward programs available these days!) Both my husband and I had to have unexpected surgeries for various health reasons within 6 months of each other this year! I was not able to lift our son for six weeks but thankfully Matt was able to take some time off work to ensure I could heal properly without re-injuring myself. A big shout out to my mom tribe, who stepped up to the plate with delicious homemade meals + coffee visits to make the recovery so much easier.
- Hire the painter! Ha ha. After painting the entire exterior of our home in one summer we now truly appreciate how hard the work can be. We spent endless evenings and weekends getting the project done. We are so proud of the outdoor transformation and continuously get compliments on the work but that was hard! Maybe next time we will hire the contractor.
- Set realistic goals. A huge part of ensuring your 2017 is set up for a successful year is ensuring you set yourself attainable goals. We get asked all the time, …”how do you guys do it all?”… “We don’t have the time to do that”. It’s all about priorities. What is important to you? What do you want to achieve this year? We work well together and set up goals throughout the year that we want to successfully complete. Communication is key. I recommend sitting down and just start writing down things you (and/or your partner) want to do. We usually categorize them into sections such as Personal Growth, Health Goals, Financial Goals, Spiritual Goals, Career Goals, Marriage (or Relationship) Goals, Family Goals, Friendship Goals and 5 + 10 Year Goals.
- Cut the fat. I’m not talking about the latest diet “trend”, I am talking about cutting the toxic relationships in your life that are restricting you from being your best self. Your mental and physical self will thank you down the road. Just be yourself.
- Try something new. I always wanted to learn how to tile the floors in our current flip. Although it seemed a lot easier said then done it was a great learning experience for me. I highly recommend trying something new in 2017. Take the leap! We will be renovating our laundry room this Spring and I want to learn how to install shiplap. It looks so elegant and easy to do! Fingers crossed it goes well! We will keep you posted 😉
What do you want to accomplish in 2017? We’d love to hear from you! Here’s some of our final thoughts + goals for the upcoming year:
- Renovate our laundry room.
- Finish replacing the last few of our old windows in this home. (We have currently replaced 75% of the ones in this house!)
Replace the 40 year old furnace. (New one installed this week! Love the humidifier feature and wifi app that allows us to control the temperature from anywhere! If you need a great furnace company in Calgary let us know. We’d be happy to provide contact details)
- Remove wallpaper and refinish the walls from the staircase.
- Explore more. We’ve got our Parks Canada discovery pass, do you? Happy 150th Birthday Canada! Click here to register for yours!
- Family vacation + camping adventures.
- Plan + execute an epic 2nd birthday! The theme picked is pretty darn cute!