We just returned from an amazing one week family holiday from the Okanagan area in British Columbia. The views are incredible, the lakes are so refreshing, the wineries are out of this world and the local fruit farms are blooming. We had the opportunity to connect with some local fruit farmers who provided us with some incredibly delicious cherries.
We ended up bringing home 50 lbs. of fresh cherries ha ha. So I have been experimenting with cherry recipes in between unpacking. The Cherry Almond Crumble Bar has been a huge hit in our household and they are easy to make. These bars have a delicious buttery almond base yet are bursting with fresh cherry flavour in between bites.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
For the Base & Topping:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter , cut into cubes
For the Cherry Layer
2 cups pitted fresh cherries (cut in half)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons water
1 tablespoon sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Grease an 8×8 inch square pan.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, ground almonds, 1/2 cup sugar and baking powder. In a small bowl whisk together the egg, vanilla and almond extract. Then, using a fork, blend the cold butter and egg mixture in with your dry ingredients.
3. Press 2/3s to 3/4s of the mixture into the bottom of your prepared pan.
4. Toss your cherries with the granulated sugar, cornstarch and water. Then sprinkle evenly over the base layer, then crumble the remaining dough over the cherries. Sprinkle additional tablespoon of sugar on top of your bars.
5. Bake in your pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. The top crumbs should be just lightly browning.
6. Allow to cool completely, then cut into 9 large squares or 16 bite-sized.
For extra summer sweetness, add one scoop of your favourite ice cream. Enjoy!